Wonderful Wanderings...

Back into the steady steady.
Let's see what happens in 2010.

14 March 2008

Farewell Spit

It seems that the majority of my mailing list responded to my plea for information on the election. Good on ya! It was interesting and slightly entertaining to get so many takes on what is happening politically speaking in the homeland.
You know it's funny. I've have similar conversations in my travels and they tend to go something like this... "Where are you from?" "The US." "What part?" (slight hesitation on my part...) "Um, Wyoming." "Oh, that's in the mid-west huh?" "Well, kind of. We consider it the west, the mountain west.". "Oh." "Don't worry, a lot of people in the States don't know where it is either."
A few variations have ended in... "Oh yeah, Wyoming! Like Brokeback Mountain!" "Yeah, kind of- though it was filmed in Canada..."
Well, last night I was proceeding through the standard conversation when I was startled by... "Oh Wyoming- the latest state to reject Hillary."
So- this is a heartfelt thanks to all my loyal readers... Thanks for bringing me up to speed on that one, so I could come up with a semi-intelligent response! Whatever puts Wyoming on the map, eh?

Well, life finds me at the northern most part of the south island (the NW corner if you will). I'm in Collingwood, very near the Farewell Spit for those of you who know. I opted to forgo petting the tamed eels today and instead borrowed a bike from my hostel to bike out to the spit and Wharariki Beach (Maori pronunciation 'Farariki'). The guide books were spot on when they called this "a most fantastic beach". Indeed it was quite worth the 63 km round trip ride on the bike. (Here's to hoping I can walk tomorrow! ..Though I won't have too much time to walk with the 5 hr bus trip I have booked- phewf!) It was my first chance I've had to drive on the left hand side of the road. Biking or driving a car, you've got to keep your head in the game. Especially when it comes to the plethora of bridges there are to cross. Seems that NZ doesn't much want to splurge on 2-lane bridges. Make sure to note which side is required to yield (or as they say here: give way).
It's a 20 min walk after the parking lot through sheep pasture. I planned my trip to hit the beach at low tide. You come out on rolling dunes that lead out to an amazing strip of perfect beach and huge rocks and rock walls, as well as caves along the edges. At low tide you can walk out to a pool of small seals and stand only feet from them swimming and splashing and quite enjoying themselves really. Very pristine.
I also stopped on the way back to check out the spit (which you can't really go out on w/o being in an organized dune buggy tour) from the visitor center. It is host to a huge bird migratory path that stretches up through Asia, Siberia and Alaska. Amazing really.
Back I hopped on the bike into a lovely headwind for the 23 km bike back into town. I think I will deserve every beer and mussel I plan to have for dinner tonight!

Ok, more food for thought:
So- it was a funny encounter I had yesterday. I stopped into a small art gallery I stumbled upon and had a nice chat with the English bloke running the place. We talked for quite a while and the topic of accents and language came up. He thought I was fairly easy to understand etc etc and certain people from the states aren't... and then mentioned that certain things we say in the states are so funny. I was curious for an example (lord knows I come up w/ plenty of them here..) So he said he ordered breakfast once in the states and when they brought him his eggs he said "Thank you." To which the waitress replied, "You're welcome." He thought that was the funniest thing... and as I got to thinking about it... it is. Where are we welcome to? The grace of thanks? Quite odd indeed. I asked him what reply he would expect and he simply said, "That's all right."
Another great thing everyone says here is, "Righty-oh." In response to sealing a deal or agreeing upon something. Oh the vast world of English!

OK! On that note, I'll let you get back to your day. Tomorrow I start the journey back north. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

NoraBee said...

Your travels sound so different than Latin America - different (repetitive conversations). hey, how come you have so many people leaving comments on your blog? Nobody writes anything on mine.....I need to change my strategy.
Love to you dear, Nora

chrissi said...

Right oh lovie, your travels sound brilliant...(I've been hanging with some Aussies in Mexico)sorry I didn't send any election info, I just got back in the States myself and I didn't even know there was an upcoming election! (just kidding)
See ya soon!!!!