Wonderful Wanderings...

Back into the steady steady.
Let's see what happens in 2010.

29 March 2008

Home Again... Home Again...

It seemed fitting, my last few days in NZ were a bit rainy- just like how the whole adventure started. Though it didn't seem to put a damper on my days. After sailing in Pahia I headed south to Whangarei (remember... that WH sounds like F to us) and stayed in a remote hostel very close to a series of caves in the area. As excited as I was to do a bit of exploring in the caves, it didn't happen. Due to the rain, it wasn't highly recommended and I thought it best that I live through my last few days to be able to catch the 12 hr flight home, rather than forever be stuck inside a wet, mucky cave on the other side of the world. Instead, I opted to walk down to a Kauri tree forest and over to the local waterfall. I wasn't at all disappointed. The Kauri trees are huge, towering trees often used for lumber and furniture. It's really a shame as they are so magnificent and live well beyond our lifespan. Luckily there are a few areas that protect them, and though I wasn't able to make it over to see the really big guys... I was dutifully impressed by the ones I saw. With the help of the rainy, misty day and the walkways through the jungle type forest... it was a magical feeling walking under those immense trees.


I then followed the trail along to the Whangarei Falls (proclaimed to be the most photographed falls in NZ). Since it was such a bright spot on the tourist trail, I wasn't expecting the awe inspiring feeling I felt standing under this waterfall. They were definitely the most magical falls I've ever seen, and as my approach was from the trail (vs the car park up above) I came upon the lush tropical oasis from more of a non-touristy angle. I half expected an elf to pop out from behind the rush of water.


The next day I was lucky enough to catch a ride back to the Auckland airport with some Swiss kids (one of them bearing such a striking resemblance to my dear friend Hans that I felt like I saw him as well). And really- nothing beats an overnight 12 hour flight in coach across the globe so... (actually there are quite a few things that I can think of, but I'm trying to be positive here..)


Though there truly is nothing like seeing the bright smiling faces of your sister-in-law and nephews greeting you on the other end. So it was all worth it.


I spent a couple days in SLC with my brother and his family and now I'm back in good 'ol Lan-diego kickin' it with the rents for a few days before my travels head westward. Next stop... Jacks-angelezz...

2 comments:

artemisia said...

I can't believe your trip is over already! But I am really, really looking forward to hearing about your time in California.

I hadn't heard of WOOFing before and mentioned it to A. during our trip last week. He seemed open to the idea. Woo hoo!

All the best.

Mom said...

Sure is great to have you home, Jen!