Wonderful Wanderings...

Back into the steady steady.
Let's see what happens in 2010.

08 June 2008

The Farm at Low Tide...

Harvest time has come!! This week began our first days of harvest on the farm for the CSA boxes and cart sales. Though the pickings were slim- I have to remind myself most of my family and friends are still dealing with snowy days and freezing nights. On the harvest table we had: broccoli, cauliflower, brassica greens, kale, chard, turnips, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mixed herbs, lettuce, flower bouquets and edible flower baskets. Not too shabby really.

The days continue with many new and foreign words and names trying to be crammed into my brain. I'm struggling with the genius/species of many different and unfamiliar flower varieties. So it goes.

I finished my last week in propagation and have been a stranger to the farm and garden and much of what is being planted out these past three weeks. However, I was able to take part in a dry farmed heirloom tomato planting out experiment in the field. Dry farming (essentially planting out starts very deeply without watering them the entire season and hoping for deep tap-root formation...) is something that is peaking my interest as a potential, exciting venture in the land of WYO. We are also experimenting with different types of fertigation... fish emulsion, nettle/comfrey compost tea and worm casting compost tea.... Stay tuned for results... PS- word on the street is that our dry farmed tomatoes are off the hook in a couple months... literally rotting on the ground as we can't keep up with them all (regardless of CSA, cart, feeding us farmies and canning and dehydrating like mad...) Not on my watch! COME VISIT!!

So amidst all the propagation, fertigation and harvest excitement there were some emotions running high (and low) this week. Yet to be determined if it was the heat, the low-tides and/or the culmination of intense schedule changes and extreme farm bonding over the last month and half, but I'm hoping crawling from tent to tent Friday night-during the annual Tent Crawl down Tent Row (and having a rockin' party in the Farm Center after) has turned those moods and lightened hearts. I do know it has left a large bruise on my right knee. And what we ALL know is... Farm camp is FUN!

On that note- I'm attaching way more pictures that one should on a blog, but also a link at left if you just can't get enough (as is obviously the case with me).

We well young chickens... It's JUNE! :)

1 comment:

artemisia said...

I just love your updates. I just got my first newsletter from your program the other day. Woo hoo!