Wonderful Wanderings...

Back into the steady steady.
Let's see what happens in 2010.

28 October 2008

..and that just about does it!


So that's it- Farm Camp is officially over. I am now just a Friend of the Farm & Garden.

The last few weeks of the apprenticeship were a whirlwind of events that were spent trying to squeeze every last drop of farm goodness into a mason jar of memories. Though all completely spent and exhausted from our full contact lifestyle we've been leading for the past 6 months, farmies rallied to plan more events and tackle even more projects as the days crept closer to Oct 24th. We organized races, farm olympics, wreath making workshops, food drying sessions, canning and preserving, t-shirt printings, potato calendar making, field trips, dinners and graduation ceremonies... on top of all the normal harvests, classes, garden upkeep and daily chores.

Our graduation ceremony took place on Friday night. Complete with hors d'oeuvres, entertainment, speeches, music, certificates, desserts and wine under twinkle lights in the DG and a final dance party in the middle green house. It was a fun night and a very appropriate closing to this little farm bubble we've all been living in.

As our bubble pops and we all disperse back into the real world that has been going on around us- we brace ourselves for what is next. I feel a mix of sadness, relief and excitement as this chapter of my life closes and once again I'm thrown full force into transition. Sadness saying goodbyes to farm friends (who I feel I have developed relationships akin to that of siblings) that I won't see regularly- relief thinking of the rest, space and kitchen access that is hopefully on my horizon- and excitement for the opportunities that lay out before me. I do know, however, that these amazing people that have entered my life won't sneak away too quickly or quietly. I now have personal access to over 45 amazing farmers and foodies across the globe that are going to be doing amazing things. Mark my words... good things are sure to come from these people.

As for me and my next steps, if I hadn't realized it yet- I don't tend to do things the concise nor logical way. This weekend my friend Sabrina is flying to California to help me road trip around this state to see some of the more natural beauties it has to offer. We're hitting Big Sur, Yosemite and Muir Woods, so I won't leave California having seen nothing but farms, soil and sunsets.

I am then flying to Mexico for a week of working at the Tropical Horticulture & Nutrition retreat my friend Chrissi is putting on at her place in Yelapa and from there it's Peru and Argentina until mid January. In South America I plan to meet up with a few good friends from the states and see the sights, hit the trails and sip the wines the regions have to offer. If you're curious as to what wanderings I come upon this go around stay tuned to this site as I'll do my best to update it with (hopefully) more frequency than I have in the past few months.

Now let the packing for the rest of my life begin!

3 comments:

artemisia said...

These transitions are bittersweet, aren't they?

By the way, are those persimmons in the picture? I LOVE persimmons!

Thanks for the NYTimes article by Pollan; what a great, great letter.

Mom said...

Mucho congrats, Jen, for all you've accomlished!

Amanda said...

Kitchen access? You haven't had kitchen access? How did you eat for the past few moths? Straight out of the garden?