Wonderful Wanderings...

Back into the steady steady.
Let's see what happens in 2010.

20 June 2010

Country Mouse, goes to the Big City

... The City of Angels!

Last weekend I found myself hopping a plane bound for LA. That would be final destination: LA. Who would have thought?

My dear farm friend Sandy, married Dararith (her sweetheart of 19 years) in one of the most beautiful, unique and inspiring wedding celebrations I've been blessed to be a part of.

Fellow farmie, Jonathan, joined me on muscle beach and we had a great wkend!

D (dararith) is originally from Cambodia. His family went through one of the most horrific experiences I can even begin to imagine. During the Khmer Rouge rule and the mass genocide, most of his family was killed and he came to the US as a young kid. Through true courage, resilience and compassion, D is truly one of the most caring and kind souls I know.
In traditional Cambodian wedding celebrations (lasting 3 days) there are 7 ceremonies. Sandy and D chose to have 2 traditional Cambodian wedding ceremonies with the final ceremony being of the western (and hip and modern) tradition.
So unique, so fun, and so chill.
I do have to mention that the locale of the wedding 'The Smog Shoppe' is one of the greenest venues in North America and host to the creation of Wooly Pockets. Felted containers and pockets made from 99% recycled plastic bottles (whoohoo!!) and my latest obsession in urban gardening.
All things considered (mostly the fact that I was in LA) I had an amazing time in LA. Farm boy Jonathan on muscle beach, a hotel room with a tv (ie- world cup soccer viewing) and such an amazing wedding. It was weekend worthwhile!
And guess what?!* Upon my return there has been (mostly) SUNSHINE!! in the rainy NW town I live in.
Lovely, lovely garden daze to all.
Happy Solstice and Happy Summer!

No comments: