Wonderful Wanderings...

Back into the steady steady.
Let's see what happens in 2010.

29 February 2008

Hopewell

So- I've settled down for a bit. Kind of fell into my lap really. I had booked one night at Hopewell Eco-lodge (which was way to short I knew going in, but they didn't have any more nights open) which is in the Marlborough Sounds (on the north shore of the south island). I arrived in hopes of snagging a few more nights and got offered a job for a week. I re-rearranged things with the WWOOFing situation I had planned on for THIS week (on the farm) and will head there NEXT week instead.
Hopewell (http://www.hopewell.co.nz/) is an amazing place which I'm recommending that you get booked NOW into your travel plans as they fill up quickly. They have won best backpacker in all of NZ for years on end now and I do know why....
I've been enjoying hiking, kayaking, eating huge green mussels, collecting and cooking my own oysters, sitting in the spa pool (hot tub for most of you chaps), lounging, reading, eating, knitting... and surely more to come. The couple who runs this show is great- and they even know people in Gardner MT (who I'm sure know friends of mine)- oh how small the world is indeed.
The work entails cleaning and prepping the rooms, but isn't half bad for free room and food and some chill out time. The kitchen here is amazing... all stainless steel, huge and bright.
The area in itself has a NW feel (in fact it is raining as I write this... but it's only my 2nd day of rain on my trip- so not bad as far as slashes go).
This computer is dial up, so I won't be downloading any pics just yet, but they have been taken- so stay tuned.
Friday I will head to Nelson area to start on the farm and then will have to squeak in a bit of the tourist track before I have to fly out.
I pale in comparison to most people I meet who are "only in NZ for 6-7 months"...
Until next time... don't forget to laugh a little.
besos--

3 comments:

chrissi said...

Hiya honey, NZ sounds wonderful it's bright and beautiful here in mexico...Sarah, lani and I are headed for Guadalajara in the next few days. Love hearing what you are doing and wish I was with you...but guess what!!!???we soon will be !!!!!!

Kit Watch said...

You're Awesome, Jake! thanks for writing about your adventures......you zany German!

artemisia said...

That is great that you have an opportunity to settle in a bit - and get to know some of the locals. That is my favorite part of travelling.

Have fun!