Wonderful Wanderings...

Back into the steady steady.
Let's see what happens in 2010.

24 February 2008

Christchurch to Kaikoura

Yes Folks... This is me!! This is just to prove that it hasn't been all latte's and internet cafes thus far...

So the flight down to Christchurch worked out, met a new friend I might hook up with later in the game if the timing works out. As luck would have it there was a major cricket tournament going on the day I arrived (no wonder it was so hard booking a place) and I think the majority of the fans were celebrating in the bar below my hostel. As tired as I was, I snuggled in and drifted off the drones, screams and pounding bass of both the winners and the losers.
The next day I took a nice hike up under the gondola (think Snow King) and over the other side of the hill into a small town called Lyttleton- who happened to be having a street fair that day. Complete with good eats, games, stilts and refreshing gelato. (I guess Italy is never to far from anywhere..)

Can I just tell you- the buses are fantastic. How does a country figure out how to be environmentally sound, have relaxed laidback drivers who don't mind explaining what the hell is going on to a lost tourist AND still manage to be prompt as all get out? Well, it happens here. I made it to Kaikoura last night and tested out my surfer legs this afternoon. I did get up a few times (kind of... ) and instructor Dave assures me once I hit the sandy bottoms of California I'll be set! He also tells me in the winter season one can hit the ski hill in the morning and the waves in the afternoon. I'll have to get that report out to a few boarders I know...
It truly is amazingly beautiful here. And I'm not even in those "amazingly beautiful areas" yet. WOW!

I've realized that a lot of the blog time is going to be a running commentary of the on-goings and workings of my inner dialogue. I apologize and congratulate you for sticking this out (is anyone is still here?).
Just some thoughts I've had along the way:
- oh yeah, the elevator is called a LIFT.. you weren't just telling me to go to the LEFT!
- Yes Katie.. the untrimmed, mohawk/mullet/tail hairstyle DOES seem to be very popular here.
- And how cute is a 2 yo speaking to her daddy with a kiwi accent? Doesn't get much better.

So- yes, to answer your questions.. So far I am getting along with myself just fine. Not too much strife & we pretty much have the same ideas of what we'd like to do. Though the trip is still young; I'll keep you posted on any further developments.
This is a fantastically easy country to get along in. Quite possibly the easiest place I've ever traveled.
So- on that note: I'm officially recommending that you all go book your tickets...
Til next time...
Cheerio!

5 comments:

artemisia said...

Oh, this trip sounds awesome. I really must travel by myself. SOON.

Thanks for posting so frequently!

Cori Jones said...

Ging, love your blog! I am a fan too so Fly you are not alone! Glad to hear you made it safe and am glad to hear that NZ bus system is better than NYC. Today I got motion sickness, whiplash and pretty sure I got told off on my commute to work. :) Love you and can't wait to hear more!

Unknown said...

Ok, so can I just say how jealous of you / excited for you I am! Ski and surf in the same day, I like the sound of this trip already. Sent out the knitting night invite for March, keeping the flame going on the torch. I miss you here in the hole but am living vicariously through your blog so keep the good stuff comin! Take care and have fun! Love, E

Mom said...

Hi Jen. Sounds like fun times in Kiwiland! Wish we were there too! Mom

Betsy Moyer said...

Jenny J,

Good on ya for getting along so well with your travel buddy. Sounds like you both have great adventuring spirits. Thinking of you today after enjoying some sourdough waffles and some unknown legumes you left for me. Hope they were fer eatin not just fer lookin. Love ya and keep up the adventuring! Bets