Wonderful Wanderings...

Back into the steady steady.
Let's see what happens in 2010.

21 February 2008

Greetings from the Future...

Well- I made it! I arrived to Auckland, NZ this morning (Friday- 22nd of February)- tomorrow for most of you reading this. I was a little skeptical leaving SF last night. Not only was it a Full Lunar eclipse at 7:01pm (one minute after my departure time), but I had also heard word of the US military's plan to shoot down the falling satellite that was to hit earth. Supposedly they had a 10 second window to shoot it down in "the area west of Hawaii" around 10pm. From my approximate calculations I was to be in that area around that time. I thought at best I'd see loads of flying satellite debris falling in front of a lunar eclipse backdrop- at worst... I'd be PART of that shrapnel. Alas... nothing so exciting happened.
How does one pass the time on a 12+ hr flight across the Pacific?? Well- it's not as bad as it originally seems. There is something about the flight attendants all having cute kiwi accents that makes one forget about the cramped coach seat they are sitting in- and sends their mind adrift to a tranquil spa- or something of that nature. Though the guy in front of you slamming his seat into the reclined position jolts you quickly back to your current situation. There are fine meals as well as endless choices of movies, music and TV programs to keep you occupied (when you aren't bobbing your head to the inevitable airline sleeping sensation, of course). All in all- it was doable.
So- I found myself an overloaded hostel, of which I'm probably 8+ yrs older than most of the people staying here- and quite a minority as far has my nationality goes, but should work for one night.
I will hopefully hop over to an island tomorrow, before I catch a quick flight to Christchurch tomorrow evening- to begin my journey back northward.
Until next time...
Take care of yourselves... and if anyone wants to let me know how Feb. 21st was, I'd be delighted to hear. I've missed out on that day this year, but as my little brother says-- it's a leap year, so it should all even out in the end. Let's hope so!

5 comments:

Kellikid said...

Dang Jen, I just missed you on Skype. Good to hear you made it safe and sound. Gwen and I just said about 10 minutes ago that we missed you here at the office. I think we're going to tape a picture of you on your computer...just kidding, that would be weird. Anyway, good luck with your travels and I'm going to make sure I keep an eye on Skype. Take Care! Kelli

Kelli Fenn said...

Glad to hear you made it across the Pacific. The government issued it a no fly zone yesterday. Yes, we know you are special. Hope you make some nice new friends tonight at the hostel! Happy travelling. Keep us posted. LOL. PS. February 21 isn't all that!

artemisia said...

Glad to see you landed safe and sound!

I noticed about two years ago that I was definitely on the older side of hostelers. Have fun!

Unknown said...

Thank goodness you made it Jen. I was thinking about you last night as I watched the eclipse - wondering where you might be. We really do miss you already. Have a great time and keep in touch. Gwen

Raquel said...

Hey there - I absolutely love that you are doing this - what an adventure! They are really going to miss you in the office - Mom says it just won't be the same. Can't help but notice the cute boys on the farm websites - so gorgeous, tanned, eco-minded, down-to-earth men w/ great accents are part of the deal - what a bonus. Enjoy it!! Rockie